Parks and Recreation Committee
Minutes of meeting on January 22, 2018
Sadsbury Township Municipal Building
Present: Simon Jessey, Matt Hensel, Deborah Jessey
Absent: Erik Brecht, Lori Brecht
Also present: Supervisor John Moore, Township Manager Bryan Walters
Meeting called to order by Mr Moore at 7:00 P.M. The following positions were voted on:
- Mr Hensel nominated Mr Jessey to chair, seconded by Mrs Jessey
- Mr Jessey nominated Mr Hensel to be vice chair, seconded by Mrs Jessey
With the reorganization complete, the meeting was turned over to the chair.
- Mr Jessey made a motion to waive the reading of the minutes of the previous meeting, seconded by Mr Hensel.
- Mr Jessey made a motion to adopt the minutes of the previous meeting, seconded by Mr Hensel.
- Mr Jessey said the township supervisors had approved the proposed meeting dates for 2018.
- Mrs Jessey reported the “parks and recreation fund” currently stands at $5485.24, as reported by the township office. The committee discussed the complicated process of accounting for funds with so many different people in the chain. It was agreed that the committee should no longer have its own treasurer, and instead rely on the township’s treasurer to handle all transactions and keep account of the the portion of the general fund associated with parks committee activities.
- The committee discussed the Municipal Directory and introduced the concept to Mr Moore. Mr Jessey agreed to produce a “packet” to send out to the various township departments in order to get them to send back any text and media they would like in the upcoming directory. Mr Walters agreed to help collate the responses.
- The committee settled on June 9 as a date to hold a BBQ fundraiser in Bert Reel Park. Mr Hensel agreed to manage the event and investigate the possibility of doing ticket pre-sales.
- The committee received resignations from two members. According to the township code, the committee should consist of 5 or 7 members, so the Parks and Recreation Committee is seeking replacements. Mr Jessey said he would make sure the township website and the parks website both had a recruitment notice, and that he would put something up in the township building.
- The committee received an email from Mr Jonny Damon of Gateway Church, who was inquiring about the possibility of working with the township to expand Gateway’s recreational facilities. The committee agreed such a relationship is prohibited, but Mr Damon’s plans were met with enthusiastic approval. Mr Damon also offered the use of the Gateway Church campus for the 2018 Community Day, and the committee agreed it would make an excellent venue.
- The baseball field in Bert Reel Park will be used by three groups this year. The committee agreed that it should be the responsibility of the teams to make sure the diamond and foul lines are maintained to the standard they require, as has been the custom in the past. Mr Jessey said he would provided Mr Walters with all the necessary information so that he could talk to the stakeholders about their responsibilities.
- Mr Hensel explained to the committee what needs to be done to get the Snack Shack ready for its use in the spring. Mr Jessey warned the committee that the Snack Shack gets occasional power outages that can lead to anything in the freezer or refrigerator being spoiled. The committee recommends that the power supply for the Snack Shack and the pavilion should be checked to make sure everything is working properly.
- The committee discussed whether or not to continue to allow Bert Reel Park to be rented out for events. Several neighbors have complained about noise and mess associated with the rentals. There is nobody to respond to an issue during a rental. The committee recommends that unless we can guarantee the availability of a township employee who can be called in to respond to an issue, we should cease park rentals.
With there being no further business or public comment, the meeting was adjourned at 8:20 P.M.