The village of Sadsburyville was established in 1729 upon land granted by William Penn and consisted of ten log houses. The name Sadsbury first appeared on a deed for land in the year 1708, but was not organized as Township until 1717.
Dating back to 1708, much of the land in the area was still wilderness and many of the roads were Indian trails of the Lenni Lenape from the Delaware tribe. The first major improvement to travel came to the area in 1784 when the Strasburg Road, running from Strasburg to Philadelphia, was built. Lincoln Highway, originally called the Philadelphia-Lancaster Turnpike, was begun in 1797 and was the first macadamized road in the Country.