Parks and Recreation Committee Minutes June 27, 2016

SADSBURY TOWNSHIP
Parks and Recreation Committee

Minutes of meeting on June 27, 2016
Sadsbury Township Municipal Building

Present: Anthony Schuibbeo, Matt Hensel, Simon Jessey
Absent: Rita Maurio, Leonard Maurio, Jesse Donovan

Meeting called to order by Simon Jessey at 7:00 P.M.

Mae McGuigan

The committee discussed the need to commemorate the life of Mae McGuigan, her devotion to Sadsbury Township, and her many years as a member of the Parks and Recreation Committee and the Historical Society. The need to clean the commemorative plaque in the pavilion and perhaps add Mae’s name to it was discussed, along with perhaps getting a bench. It was agreed that the committee and the historical society would need to collaborate going forward, and that Mae’s family would need to be approached for their counsel. The next meeting of the Historical Society is on July 11, and the Parks and Recreation Committee meets July 25.

Old Business

Vendors and sponsors update

Simon Jessey provided a summary of new vendors and community services:

  • Keystone Custom Homes (paid vendor)
  • Chester County Health Department (WIC services)
  • Brandywine Hospital (health screening)
  • Rep Harry Lewis
  • Stephen Allgyer (vendor, pending payment)
  • Dino’s Water Ice (truck)
  • Russell’s Baton (demonstration in lieu of fee)

Simon reported that Rita’s three-week classified ad campaign in the Community Courier was not successful, with perhaps only one vendor picked up. Anthony Schuibbeo could not confirm specific Republican or Democratic involvement, but indicated that both were highly likely. Anthony also submitted a variety of business cards and contact details for prospective vendors picked up from the Strawberry Festival.

Matt said there was a crafts vendor interested, and Simon confirmed Herbert E. MacCombie as a sponsor.

Shirts

Shirts for volunteers were discussed. It was decided that the shirts should use the same green and yellow color scheme being used at the new playground; the shirts will be yellow with green writing. Costs can be kept down by limiting colors. Simon will provide Matt with artwork mockups so that he can talk to his shirt contact. Going forward, the committee hopes to offer souvenir shirts to the public.

Signs, advertising

The committee discussed banners, flyers and posters. They decided to seek approval from the Board of Supervisors to purchase two “banner kits” from Banner.com at a total cost not to exceed $600. One will be sited at Bert Reel Park, and the other outside the Township Municipal Building. Both will be highly visible to traffic passing in both directions, and the kits can be reused with new banners for future township events. Anthony brought literature from Print.com that offered alternative methods for producing flyers and information handouts at little cost or effort to the Township, and also noted Vistaprint can provide mailing services that would save the committee from having to hand out flyers door to door.

Gifts-in-kind update

The committee discussed the need for someone to collect a pallet of 21 straw bales from Hougar Farm the day before Community Day and deliver them to Bert Reel Park. There was also discussion about what could be done with them after the event. Matt and Anthony talked about the storage and serving of root beer from Victory Brewing. It was agreed that the best use of the $50 gift certificate from Walmart would be on paper goods and cups for serving food and drinks at the event. The committee needs more information about the gift of chips from Herr’s.

Food services update

Dino’s Water Ice has confirmed as a vendor, and will be selling out of a truck. The committee discussed food and drink pricing from the shack, and the sense was that keeping prices to round dollar amounts would make life easier. Matt said he would approach the Coca-Cola Company about getting Coke and Diet Coke for the event.

Treasurer’s report

To date, the activities of the Parks and Recreation Committee have raised $3,225 for Community Day, and the committee has spent $1,115 of that on the inflatables for the event. With the $750 that was already in the account, the current balance should be $2,860.

New Business

Action points for July

Rita will be confirming vendors and pickup arrangements for gifts-in-kind. Simon will be working on on artwork for signs, flyers and posters. Simon and Rita will be writing copy for a press release. Simon will seek approval from the Board of Supervisors to rent the vendor tent from Discount Tent. The committee will work harder to fill the ranks of volunteers, which currently sits at perhaps a third of the needed number. The committee will also look into whether or not it is possible to get Stubby the Helicopter for Community Day.

Website

Simon made a presentation of a Parks and Recreation website he has been building. The plan is to use it to promote the wellbeing of residents through the use of the township’s parks and trails. It is intended to be frequently updated with news, interviews, features and information on upcoming events. Simon will seek approval from the Board of Supervisors to “launch” the site and begin integrating it with the main Sadsbury Township site.

Snack Shack update

The relaunch of the Snack Shack in 2016 has been successful. After reimbursements, Matt informed the committee it had raised $146. The committee discussed how the shack would be operated during Community Day, including what was needed for cooking and keeping food warm.

Idea exchange, public comment

The committee discussed Rita’s suggestion of distributing a 20% off coupon to vendors who could confirm their involvement in the Tricentennial by September 30, 2016. It was suggested that this date could be extended much longer, to perhaps the end of January 2017. There was extended discussion about getting feedback from our vendors and sponsors after the event, so that the committee could learn from their experiences and tailor the event to help vendors and sponsors get a better return on their investment for the next Community Day. The committee would also seek testimonials from both vendors and the public, to aid publicity for the next event.

The committee discussed the power requirements for Community Day, with the need to spread the load between the Snack Shack and the pavilion outlets. The inflatables will need five outlets from the Snack Shack, and the food services will need a few as well.

Impediments to having Kiddie Rides from Majestic Midways at future events were discussed. Besides the usual liability issues, the small size of Bert Reel Park might be a factor. It is hoped that the Tricentennial will be a multi-location event, so a better venue for the Kiddie Rides may be available.

The committee discussed upcoming projects and priorities, including the resurfacing of the basketball court, building dugouts, installing a scoreboard and making repairs and upgrades to the fence at the baseball field, and activities that could take place in those facilities, including a 2 on 2 basketball contest and a home run derby.

Anthony brought to the attention of the committee potential problems with park rental, after recent issues with noise and alcohol. Going forward, some tweaking of the rules may be needed, and enforcement options were explored. It was suggested that park rental should be limited to residents of the township only, with perhaps exceptions to be made for regular renters from out-of-township who are in good standing.

With there being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 9:10 P.M.

Respectfully submitted,

Simon Jessey

Vice Chair, Sadsbury Township Parks and Recreation Committee

Parks and Recreation Committee Minutes May 23, 2016

SADSBURY TOWNSHIP
Parks and Recreation Committee

Minutes of meeting on May 23, 2016
Sadsbury Township Municipal Building

Present: Anthony Schuibbeo, Rita Maurio, Leonard Maurio, Matt Hensel, Simon Jessey

Absent: Jesse Donovan

Meeting called to order by Anthony Schuibbeo at 7:00 p.m.

Old business

Vendors

Rita Maurio provided updates on the upcoming “Community Day”, beginning with a summary of where the event stands with vendors. As of the meeting date, there are 10 paying vendors confirmed (with 8 to be inside the vendor tent and 2 outside the tent). There are also 3 prospective vendors (2 inside, 1 outside), 4 nonpaying vendors and 6 prospective nonpaying vendors.

Opening Ceremonies

Next, Rita Maurio went over the order of the opening ceremonies for the event:

  • Pledge of Allegiance and National Anthem featuring a Girl Scout troop
  • Performances from Russel Baton Twirling, AmCor Karate and Kinetic Athletics Cheerleading
  • Dedication of “Eric’s Place” playground

Chuck DiLabbio provided updates on the construction of the new playground, including the expected timeline for completion and information about the playground’s features. The committee discussed media coverage of the dedication ceremony, how the ceremony will be conducted and what music will be provided by the DJ (Earl Taylor) for the event.

Activities

The Chair provided a summary of the daylong event activities that had been established. These include activities provided by Keystone Valley Fire Department, Sadsburyville Fire Company, music and public address from Earl Taylor, the YMCA’s “Activan”, an inflatable obstacle course and moon bounces from Bouncyroo, a face painter and door prize giveaways. The committee discussed possible additional activities, including a tug of war competition, a crash truck from Sikorsky and the possible appearance of “Stubby the Traveling Helicopter” from the American Helicopter Museum.

Food Services

The committee reviewed the status of food provision and vendors for Community Day. These include:

  • Hot dogs and hamburgers to be kindly donated by John Lymbaris
  • Root beer to be donated or sold by Victory Brewing
  • Soda and water supplies to be arranged by Matt Hensel
  • Assorted bagged chips to be kindly donated by Herr’s
  • Vendors to include PJ’s Deli, Fat Matt’s BBQ and Tyler’s Water Ice

The committee discussed the need for grills for the hamburgers and hot dogs, rolls, condiments, paper products, and cooks and servers at food stations. Matt Hensel is acquiring the necessary Temporary Event License for food sales.

Site Preparation

The committee discussed the preparation of Bert Reel Park for the event. The flagpole in the park is only partially painted, with the top third apparently unpainted. Members of the committee resolved to investigate whether or not the Public Works Department would be responsible for painting the flagpole, and whether or not a bucket truck might be acquired from Vietri Electric to complete the task.

The committee considered how to deal with the parking, entrance and exits at Bert Reel Park during Community Day. Simon Jessey suggested using straw bales to create passageways to guide foot traffic into the park. Simon said he would investigate where to obtain some bales for this purpose. Earl Taylor said that the fire departments had previously been responsible for directing traffic into and out of parking areas, and would likely be able to do so for the upcoming event. It was suggested that a water station could be setup in consideration of the August heat. Simon Jessey provided aerial views and diagrams of Bert Reel Park and outlined his suggestions for the locations of attractions for the event.

Treasurer’s Report

Treasurer Skip Maurio provided an update on the financial status. $2,925 is currently available, with $1,875 in collected sponsorships, $300 in paid vendor spaces and $750 allocated to Parks in the Township’s General Fund. There is an additional $200 pending from vendors who have committed to the event, but not yet submitted payment.

New Business

Volunteers

There was an open discussion between current and past members of the Parks and Recreation Committee in attendance on how volunteers were recruited for previous events.

T-shirts

Matt Hensel said he would contact a custom shirt printer to investigate the cost and lead time of providing Community Day T-shirts for volunteers.

Advertising, signage and publicity

The committee discussed the design of flyers for distribution to households, and posters for display in local businesses. Simon Jessey said he would make revisions to the existing artwork to reflect any changes needed. There was a discussion on the limitations of the Sadsbury Township website and the difficulty in getting quick updates for promoting “Community Day” and other parks and recreation matters. Simon said he would contact the township’s website maintainer to discuss how to improve this process. The committee discussed the Community Day sign at the park. Simon said he would visit the park to ascertain whether or not the existing posts could still support the sign or a banner.

With there being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:45 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Simon Jessey

Vice Chair, Sadsbury Township Parks and Recreation Committee

Parks and Recreations Committee Minutes April 25, 2016

SADSBURY TOWNSHIP
Parks and Recreations Committee
Minutes of meeting on April 25, 2016
Sadsbury Township Municipal Building

Present: Anthony Schuibbeo, Rita Maurio, Leonard Maurio, Matt Hensel, Simon Jessey
Absent: Jesse Donovan

Reorganization
Anthony Schuibbeo called the meeting to order at 7:00pm and presided over a reorganization of the Parks and Recreations Committee (PARC). The following positions were nominated and seconded:

  • Rita Maurio – Chair
  • Simon Jessey – Vice Chair
  • Matt Hensel – Director of Operations
  • Leonard Maurio – Treasurer

Anthony Schuibbeo then turned the meeting over to Rita Maurio.

Regular Meeting

Finance and mail

Rita Maurio chaired a meeting concerning “Community Day”, with the financial status of the event first on the agenda. Members of the Committee have raised a total of $1,375 toward “Community Day”, with Matt Hensel in particularly doing sterling work. We have:

  • Sponsorship of $600 from Extra Mile Auto
  • 7 vendor slots at $50 each:
  • Hensel Lawn – 2 slos
  • Newark – 2 slots
  • Rachel Cox (Avon) – 1 slot
  • Fishing Lures – 1 slot
  • P. J. Deli – 1 slot (requiring electricity)
  • $25 monetary donation from Mail N More
  • Door prize donation from Oasis Market (car washes)
  • Door prize donation from Arty’s Automotive (free inspection)

Leonard and Rita Maurio reported on their efforts to contact sponsors and vendors, and there was a general discussion on how and where to solicit additional paying vendors. Matt Hensel will contact Jack Asetta (President of Parkesburg Community Day) for suggestions. Rita Maurio will contact the Western Chester County
Chamber of Commerce. There was a general discussion about how we should receive and disburse money from fundraising efforts. We resolved to maintain a ledger for internal bookkeeping and coordinate with the Township Treasurer. The Committee would like to explore the possibility of getting its own Post Office Box or a dedicated mailbox so that its mail can be kept separate from general Township correspondence.

Advertising

The PARC discussed creating and distributing flyers for the event. Simon Jessey submitted designs for the flyer and for the sign to be put up in Bert Reel Park, which is apparently double sided. After considering the impact of a potential rain day, the Committee decided to eliminate it and instead advertise the event as “rain or shine”. It was noted that this change would need to occur on all distributed literature. Simon Jessey said he would look into updating the Township’s website to include promotion of Community Day, including a downloadable copy of the flyer.

Event Activities

Simon Jessey said he would investigate an alternative inflatables provider for comparison pricing with Bouncy Roo; however, he reminded the Committee we had promised vendors, sponsors and residents an inflatable obstacle course that is unique to Bouncy Roo. He also said he would look into the cost of a vendor tent to cover
the basketball court.
Anthony Schuibbeo put in a hands-free call to Earl Taylor to ask how much space he needs for DJ-ing and presentations. It was decided that the event could manage with a flatbed trailer provided by Matt Hensel, rather than an expensive rented platform. This would save at least $1,200 on Community Day expenses. There was also
discussion about how we could use straw bales to enhance the look of the trailer, conceal electrical extension cords and provide means to steer walking traffic.
Matt Hansel said he will talk to a beverage company about getting a soda fountain for the event.

Snack Shack

The Snack Shack in Bert Reel Park has been cleaned and sanitized by Matt Hensel and his wife. After being dormant for six years, the Shack was reopened on Friday, April 22, 2016 for a Babe Ruth Little League game, staffed by Matt and his wife Amanda. Revenue from the night totaled $54.75. This was made possible by an initial injection of capital from Matt, who will use the early profits to recoup the expense.
Matt expressed a need for volunteer staffing at the Shack during Little League games and more. It is anticipated that the Shack’s use will increase as the baseball field is used by other leagues, such as the Men’s Softball League. Currently, only Matt, his family, and members of the PARC have made themselves available.
The PARC discussed the need for a banner for the Snack Shack, as well as advertising its operation. This would include some blurb on the Township website.

PARC Activities for May

  • The PARC members will continue to seek vendors and sponsorship for “Community Day”.
  • Simon will deliver a summary of the month’s PARC activities to the Supervisors Meeting on May 3.
  • Simon and Rita will seek a meeting with the Township Treasurer to discuss financial matters.
  • Advertising for Community Day (sign, flyers, website) and the Snack Shack (sign, website) will be investigated.

With there being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:40pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Simon Jessey


Vice Chair, Sadsbury Township Parks and Recreations Committee
The next meeting of the Parks and Recreations Committee is on Monday, May 23, 2016 at 7:00 pm in the Township Municipal Building. Residents of Sadsbury Township are welcome to attend.